Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My First Official Yoga Class (and don't teach with retainers on)

My first official yoga class was supposed to happen in December, but since we had over two feet of snow fall in New York, a few days after another snowcopolopse amount, basically that class never happened and they closed the gym altogether.

But, I had another chance to do it last Monday (thank you Rachel!), at a beautiful loft gym in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I had three students, all different levels (having asanas with various levels of modifications really helped with this).  I had prepared the class in December, and the entire day once again inFebruary, integrating the movements into a Lam chakra themed, root inducing asana practice. My long term teaching goal is to keep my classes integrated with the eastern yoga philosophies.   I felt really good about the class, and while teaching, I realized that I need to keep my voice in a healthy pitch range while teaching because otherwise, my voice would get tired quickly.  Thank goodness I took off my retainers because I would have been dealing with dry mouth and hyper awareness about them.

I never realized the funny looks people give you when they are being challenged in their asana poses.  I was convinced they all hated the class, but then the feedback afterwards was really good from them.  At the end they had on a "yoga face", where they were basically zonked out and feeling good, but really, never really thought about the looks on my face during class until I taught a whole class.  It makes sense.  People really aren't looking happy and relaxed when balancing in vasisthasana (arm balancing side plank).

My two major lessons, well three lessons that I learned from teaching were, never wear retainers, ignore scary weird looks from students during class.  Oh the third, I was glad I felt uber prepared with a lesson plan.  



No comments:

Post a Comment