Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finding My Teaching Style

I really have to post more often.   I do have a wonderful excuse, as my fiance is now officially home from a 19 month long job taking him all corners of our amazing nation.  While traveling, I was lucky enough to talk with one of his cast mates, Julia Osbourne, who sings like a bird, AND teaches yoga.  I know she is a wonderful teacher because she has taught at Sonic, but more so, because you can count on her to have light in her eyes all the time, and they light up a room.

So in my haste to learn as much as I can about teaching yoga, I have decided to interview teachers about their teaching style so I can find my own style.  Beginning to teach is, I must admit, terrifying. I make up sequences and study the cues for each pose, and just try to be as prepared as I can.  So.... my plan was to ask Julia about what cues she would give for a standing split. Sweet girl, one matinee down and one show to go, she took me aside in the lobby of the theatre and illuminated my class planning one Sunny afternoon in March.

The thing is, as we all find out, plans don't always work out they way they were planned.  Instead of writing down the cues that she would teach, and perhaps the preparations poses she would do, I learned something that day that I now remind myself before class every time I teach. "Create an atmosphere of relaxation, in where the students aren’t afraid of doing something wrong.  Most students, new students especially aren’t used to being touched, unless they are doing something wrong."  Becoming aware of that was really big.  Oprah would say it's an "ah ha moment".  I think she may have said this off the fly, but it was something I'll always remember.  It's so important for the atmosphere to be open to people trying new things.  She reminded me that standing on one foot is not a normal occurrence for most, and that simple reminder will benefit my teaching from now on.  I am so used to yoga studios in the city, where people are SERIOUS about yoga.  I need my classes to be about trying new things.

She also said, "people all know their own bodies really well, even if they don’t know it yet” and you're there to guide them.  They were upside down a lot when they were younger!"  I found this conversation so useful, that I am going to interview more teachers for other tidbits of wisdom.





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your dad inspired you to blog. I read through a few of them and . . . WOW! It seems to me that you are definitely on your way to being an exceptional teacher. I have found that in life there are some teachers that cross our paths in some way or another, whether in a traditional educational setting, a dance class, or in your case, a yoga class, that really touch lives. I think the key to being one of these teachers, that somehow touch us more deeply than simply "teaching" the content we came to learn, is what I am sensing in your blog. It is the reflective and introspective way you analyze yourself as a teacher, your class, your students, and the effect you have on them. You leave nothing unturned and strive to put in your best to make sure your students walk away with more than what they expected to come for. I hope one day I get to experience one of your classes firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine! That is so awesome of you to write. It's definitely challenging to get up in front of a group, but a good sort of challenge.

    ReplyDelete